PostgreSQL (often simply referred as Postgres) is an open-source object relational database. VMware introduced VMware vFabric Postgres back in 2011: vPostgres is based on and fully compatible with the open-source PostgreSQL software and all the tools related. This product comes in a virtual appliance form factor or as a simple Linux RPM to install, and leverages several optimizations related to virtualization:
- Elastic Database Memory,
- Specific Tuning (with higher default values),
- Smart Database Configuration.
vPostgres appliance (available as an OVA file) deployment is straightforward and quite simple.
After the deployment, two admin URLs are available:
- Appliance management URL: https://your-appliance-ip:5480/
- Database(s) management URL: https://your-appliace-ip:8443/
Note: as vPostgres is compatible with PostgreSQL tools, you can use your regular PostgreSQL client (if you have any).
What about the price ? According to the vFabric Postgres pricing page:
VMware vFabric Postgres is free for non-production use and is licensed per virtual machine (with up to two vCPUs) for production use.
– edit: VMware is announcing the End of Availability (EOA) of VMware vFabric Postgres, effective September 1, 2014. –
- vCSA is using vPostgres as the embedded database,
- vPostgres is a supported database for several VMware products, like Horizon or vCAC.